Dr. Joseph Curtis attended the University of Alabama where he graduated Summa Cum Laude, followed by an early admittance to the University of Alabama Medical School. Dr. Curtis stayed at UAB for two years of General Surgery training, followed by four years of orthopedic surgery training. He was chief resident in his final year. He was recruited to Southern Orthopaedic Surgeons in 1993, where he has worked in the community for 25 years. He has provided orthopedic care for the physically challenged and handicapped children in the south Alabama area through Children’s Rehab Services. Dr. Curtis also provides emergent orthopaedic trauma care at Baptist Medical Center South. He has special interests and training in total joints and a unique interest in partial knee replacements, and is MAKO trained. Dr. Curtis is a member of the development team responsible for the Joint Center of Alabama at Baptist Medical Center South.
Born and raised in Birmingham, Alabama, Dr. Curtis has been involved with orthopedics since birth. Despite being born with bilateral clubfeet, he has always enjoyed athletics. He played high school sports, and continues to be an avid cyclist. He also enjoys anything in the outdoors, and has a farm in south Montgomery county. He is a proud parent of three grown children. He is married to his high school sweetheart, Laura, and they live happily in the Montgomery area, and are active members of First Baptist Church of Montgomery.
Throughout his career, he has been involved in the governing, as well as the advancement of orthopedic surgery. For the last two years, he has been chief of staff at Baptist Medical Center South.
- Alabama Medical Association
- Montgomery County Medical Association
- Fellow American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Fellow American College of Surgeons, (10/1998 - 10/2006)
- Alabama Orthopaedic Society
- AAOS Board of Councilors, 2009-2015
- AAOS Chairman Bylaws Committee 1/2013 - 12/2015
- Alabama Orthopaedic Society Board of Directors, 2003 - present
- Alabama Orthopaedic Society President, 5/2006 - 5/2007
- Baptist Medical Center South Chief of Staff 1/2018 - 1/2020
- Baptist Medical Center South Chief of Staff Elect 9/2017 - 1/2018
- Baptist Medical Center South Chairman Surgery Department 1/2016 - 1/2018
- Baptist Medical Center South Vice-Chair Surgery Department to 1/2014 - 1/2016